Friday, December 09, 2005

Newsletter 12

2005-2006                               Room 302—Newsletter 12                http://room302.blogspot.com

Monday, December 05, 2005

Dear Families,

Wow!  What a week; what a show!  Thanks so much to all who worked so hard on learning parts and getting kids here last night.  It was great to see all the hard work have such a great pay-off.  I was reflecting on what a wonderful experience the whole thing was.  The students chose their parts, read and reread over and over, worked alone, worked together, spoke, listened, and had a lot of fun doing it.  I wasn’t able to video-tape the evening show, but I did tape our class performing the play in our room, and I taped the dress rehearsal we did for the school, so look for that on the circulating video tape.
Reading…
It’s amazing to hear students analyze the Gingerbread Boy now, in terms of who is the main character, what the main character wants, and what he or she does to get it.  Rereading and performing help them think deeply about the story, because they’ve become so familiar with it.  In our discussion today, possible main characters included the old man, the old woman, the fox, and the gingerbread boy.  The great thing was that students could make a case for each of these characters being the most central.  We’ll continue to have these conversations, both individually and as a group, as the year progresses.
Writing …
Our new special project is creating a class book based on The Twelve Days of Christmas.  The twist is that we’re thinking of things to give, rather than to get.  Also, I’m trying to get more kids’ writing on the blog, so you may want to check in from time to time.  The shared writing was difficult lately so you saw less news there, but I think we’re back into routine, now.
Party…
Our party will be Friday, December 16 at about 1:40.  The main activity will be building gingerbread houses.  Let me know if you did not get a note about this already, or if you can’t remember what I asked you to bring, or if you are unable to provide what I requested.  I just want to make sure we have what we need by Friday.  Another activity will be decorating their own cookies, and we’ll need extra frosting and decorations for that.  And, of course, the other “main” activity will be eating, so if you can donate fruit, vegetables, juice, or something else, just let us know.  Savannah’s mom has again kindly offered to help coordinate this, so please give her a call and let her know if you can help with the cookie decorating or snacks.  
Wish List …
One thing I don’t have is a big analog clock.  The one in the room is digital, but I’d also like one with hands so we can work on telling time.  And the bigger, the better.  So if you have an old one you’d like to donate, please let me know.
Another thing I use every day is a big desk calendar (22”x17”).  We write in important dates and keep track of our days and months.  Unfortunately, the one I have ends in December.  So if you have access to an inexpensive or free one, we’d love it.
Current Chapter Book Read Aloud…
Winnie the Pooh  by A. A. Milne
Calendar…
Friday, December 16—Holiday Party, 1:40 p.m.     Friday, January 13—Early Release
December 19 – January 2—No School, Winter Break     Monday, January 16—No School, M. L. King Day
Tuesday, January 3—School Resumes     


Sincerely,



Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Search