Monday, December 05, 2005

Newsletter 11

2005-2006 Room 302—Newsletter 11 http://room302.blogspot.com Monday, December 05, 2005 Dear Families, It was great to see everyone at conferences. I enjoyed all the feedback and questions and conversations. It was nice to be able to convey information face to face for a change, instead of like this. I hope you all left with a sense of how much I appreciate and enjoy your children. We don’t have another scheduled conference time, but if you need me, please don’t hesitate to write, or call, or visit. I have a list of stuff to cover this time, so here it is: Holiday Concert… We perform for families at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, February 8. Everyone in the class has a part, so we hope to see everyone there. Please let me know if you don’t think you’ll make it so we can reassign the part. Plan on dropping the students off in our classroom with me around 6:45 p.m. Then our whole class will walk down together. Following the concert, all children will return with their teachers to the classrooms. You may then collect your children from their classrooms. Reading… Our big push right now is learning the Gingerbread Boy play for the concert, so much of our time is spent doing that. I hope you saw the copy I sent home and are able to help your child learn the assigned part. Some kids have speaking parts; some have sound effect parts; all need to know it without scripts by next Thursday, but sooner would be better. I’d like them to not only know their lines, but their cues as well, and one way to do this would be for someone to read the play aloud and have the student come in at the appropriate time. Please encourage them to speak clearly and loudly. The “loudly” part seems to be the most challenging for many, and it’s rather important, since it can be difficult to hear in a gym full of people. The second part of our show will be performing a set of songs. The lyrics to those were sent home as well, and that is another thing where I encourage you to help as needed. In math…. We made our new calendars on Thursday. We did weaving and talked about pattern, repetition, contrast, horizontal, and vertical. As an experiment, ask your child what those words mean, and if he or she can demonstrate those things on the weavings. Weather Fun… Last week was a strange one. I was glad to be able to send an email to those of you on my list the other day as soon as we knew school would be released early. It made me feel like we’d have a better chance of everyone getting where they need to be safely. I doubt that will happen again, but if so I will try to keep you in the loop. Video… I’ve started circulating a video “in progress” of some things I’ve filmed, including our field trip, parties, and kids reading. It’s highly motivating for those who volunteer to be filmed performing, and I hope it gives you a chance to see a bit of what goes on here. If you haven’t had it at your house yet, it will be coming some time. I’ve asked the students to bring the video back on the next school day whether they got to watch it or not. This is so the next person does not miss a turn, and so I can add new footage. When everyone has had a turn, we’ll send it around again. Wish List … One thing I don’t have is a big analog clock. The one in the room is digital, but I’d also like one with hands so we can work on telling time. And the bigger, the better. So if you have an old one you’d like to donate, please let me know. Another thing I use every day is a big desk calendar (22”x17”). We write in important dates and keep track of our days and months. Unfortunately, the one I have ends in December. So if you have access to an inexpensive or free one, we’d love it. Current Chapter Book Read Aloud… Winnie the Pooh by A. A. Milne Calendar… Thursday, December 8—K-2 Holiday Concert, 7:00 p.m. Friday, December 16—Holiday Party, 1:40 p.m. December 19 – January 2—No School, Winter Break Tuesday, January 3—School Resumes Friday, January 13—Early Release Monday, January 16—No School, M. L. King Day Sincerely, Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Search