Dear Families,
Last week our third graders explored an online math program called Khan Academy. They learned how to log in using their new district Google Account, took a quick test, and practiced some skills.
Khan Academy has some really great features:
It determines their skill level and gives them tasks according to their individual needs.
It gives them Mastery Challenges to determine if they mastered specific skills.
It allows them to assign a math coach (me) so I can make recommendations for them, and so I can track their progress.
It gives them hints when they are learning a new skill.
It shows videos to help teach new skills.
It gives them immediate feedback so they know if they did a problem correctly.
It allows them to review math concepts, and to explore beyond what we teach in third grade.
Our class was buzzing with enthusiasm as they learned how to use Khan Academy to enrich their math learning. We assigned it for homework that first day, and most kids who tried it were successful. If you have tried it at home with their new Google Accounts I'd appreciate your feedback. For those students who forget, they have to choose "sign in with Google".
Also on Friday, I took few minutes to show them around their new email accounts, and things they could do. They were quite excited to see the few things I explained. More information is here.
The one thing I was very clear on was reminding them to always get permission before using these sites, or any of our other sites.
As always, please let me know if you have any questions.
Good luck and have fun!
Best Regards,
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.