Dear
Families,
We had a
great first day! We spent some time reading, writing, and getting to know each
other. Thank you for trusting me with your children. I’m looking forward to our
year together. I prefer to use email for newsletters and things as much as
possible. I made a list of the email addresses on record here and sent this
note. At this point I have 24 students on the list. If there is a different
email address you want me to use, please email me from it with a note. If you
would like the paper version, just let me know. Here are some things to keep in
mind at this point:
Snack
We eat lunch
at 1:00; that’s four hours after school starts. It’s a long time to go without
food, so please consider sending snack—either daily just for your child, or
once in awhile to share with others who would rather do it that way. I’ll get a
rough count on who prefers what once we start.
The best
things to send are healthy, and easy to distribute evenly. No peanuts please.
Music and P.E.
We have Physical
Education with Mrs. Smith and Music Education
with Miss Olds on Mondays and Fridays.
Jackdaw
What is a
jackdaw? A jackdaw is a bird
that collects things. It’s also a collection of things about a topic. In this
case, the topic will be each student. So our jackdaws will be collections that
tell about each of us.
I have given each student a gallon size Ziploc bag
and I’m asking them to make a jackdaw about themselves.
Part of the fun is finding and building the collection to share with others.
Students should use the index card to list the items in the bag. We’ll share
our jackdaws in class.
Here are the
guidelines:
It
must all fit inside the bag.
Bring in 4-6 items that
represent:
·
some of your
"gifts"-- things you are good at (maybe a book or a paint brush or a
game piece)
·
some of your interests - things
you are fascinated with and like to spend your time reading about or doing
(maybe a catcher's mitt or word puzzle)
·
relationships you have with
other people (maybe a photo of friends or a souvenir from a trip)
·
ways you already help others
(maybe a leash if you walk the dog or spoon if you set the table)
·
other things you can think of
that will tell us about you
They should
practice telling about them at home so they’re ready when it’s their turn.
I’d like the
bags done and back by Friday, September 4, but they can come back sooner and
we’ll start sharing when they do. This is a fun way to get to know each other.
I can’t wait.
Here’s to a
great year!
Sincerely,
Jeff
Kurtz
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.