Tuesday, June 23, 2015

15-16 News

6/23/2015
Dear 302 Families,
Welcome to 3rd grade!
We had move-up day today. All the students gathered with their teachers and classmates for next year, and your child was with me. What a nice group we have! We read a story, did an art project, and just generally got a feel for each other.
I love teaching, and I am already thinking about ways I can help them have a great year next year. There will be plenty of new experiences and challenges in 3rd grade. It’s probably one of the biggest transition years in elementary school, and I think the kids have been well prepared. If not, that’s okay. One of our district slogans used to be “We’re ready for you!” I love that idea: that we accept and appreciate all students, no matter what they have or have not learned so far.
One thing I love about teaching is finding out where the students are, and then see how much further I can take them. That will continue to be the case. I expect all students to continue growing, learning, and having fun. Of course I’m sure you know that you, the parents, play the biggest role in your child’s learning. If I could ask one thing over the summer, it would be that you keep reading aloud to them every night.
Reading aloud to kids this age can be counterintuitive for some, so let me explain one reason it’s so helpful. We assess the students’ reading in several different ways. An important way is fluency: tone of voice, phrasing, stopping at periods, and rate. Lack of fluency is a problem that stalls many third graders every year. The things they read get harder and harder, and those students who aren’t fluent need to be taught. If you read to your child, he or she is used to hearing the harder books, so they have a better idea of what to do when it’s their turn—much like a kid who has watched a lot of baseball knows what to do when it’s his turn. By the way, fluency is only one by-product of reading to your child. There are many others.
I’m excited at the prospect of starting a new year together with the new third grade class. If you have any questions now, or at any time, please ask. I’m happy to help in any way I can. In the meantime, I hope your break is filled with lots of fun and reading. And if you want an early jump on the supplies, the list for next year is below. I also created an Amazon list in case that helps anyone: http://amzn.com/sl/3N050VTQFD77S.
Sincerely,
 
Jeff Kurtz
Room 302
 
 
Grade 3 Supply List
  • 1 box 24 ct Crayola crayons
  • 5 large glue sticks
  • 3 dozen #2 pencils (Ticonderoga preferred, available in bulk at Costco)
  • 2 black sharpies (fine tip and regular tip)
  • Pencil top erasers
  • 2 dry erase markers
  • 5 wide-ruled spiral notebooks (70 sheets is enough)
  • 2 folders with 3 hole fasteners
  • 1 pair Fiskar scissors
  • 1 pencil sharpener with shavings box
  • 2 blue or red ball point pens
  • 1 pack sticky notes
  • Earphones (in a Ziploc with name)
  • 1 water bottle
  • Tissues
  • 1 box Ziploc bags (any size)
  • 1 super star kid, ready to have fun and learn!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Search