Newsletter 1 2013-2014 6/15/2013
Dear Families,
Welcome to second and third grade in Room 302! I'll be your teacher for 2013-2014.
I had the chance to meet with the students during our school move-up day. We read a story, talked, and did some art. We had fun, and I'm excited about working with them in the coming year. I'm also excited about teaching a split class again: it provides the opportunity for such a diverse and rich range of teaching and learning. I think all students will benefit.
Anyone learns more when surrounded by people who have a range of interests, abilities, skills, passions, experiences, and attitudes. We all know that a person's age, or grade, is not what determines those things. Our learning community will be stronger because of the variety of ingredients each student (and family) will add to the mix.
I've been teaching since 1989. My focus has always been on finding ways to try and meet the needs of individuals. That is where my teaching (ANY teaching) is most effective. I try to find ways to connect learning to students' lives. I think Why do we have to do this? is a great question. It needs a great answer, and my goal is to always have a great answer ready.
I anticipate the question: So how will it work next year having two grades in one classroom? So I tried to write a brief answer, but brevity on the topic is not easy for me. That said, I'm more than happy to answer any questions over email, or on the phone, or in person. In general though, we will do everything we can to provide the best learning experience for each and every student. I can assure you that if it wasn't good for the kids, we wouldn't do it.
As a father with 3 kids of my own (Jordan-14, Jeremy-13, Janelle-10) I'm well aware that families know their children best. I count on families to help me monitor progress and needs, so together we can find ways to meet the needs of each child. Please let me know any questions you have as we take this journey together.
The best way to keep in touch will probably be email, as it seems to offer the most flexibility. I ask that you email me when you get this note, or as soon as possible. That will let me know you got the note, and it will give me an email address where I can contact you as needed with newsletters, questions, updates, etc.
September 3, 2013 is our first day back to school in the fall. I'll be at school on August 29, from 3-4, in case people want to stop by, say hi, and drop off supplies. If there is other news, I try to post it to our class twitter account (https://twitter.com/#!/room302), our blog (http://room302.blogspot.com/), and our district website (http://swift.enumclaw.wednet.edu/bde/jkurtz/index.php). Those are also good places to find out what we've done in past years, if you're curious.
If you have questions at any time, now or in the future, please don't hesitate to ask. I look forward to working with you.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.