Saturday, September 10, 2005

Newsletter 2

Room 302—Newsletter 2

September 10, 2005

Dear Families,

Things are going very well. We’re taking our time, getting to know each other and learning routines.

In reading….

Every student has a book box, in which they have books they can or want to read. We also read poems together, and have daily read alouds, including chapter book. Our current chapter book is the first one in the Junie B. Jones series by Barbara Park, called Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus.

In writing….

Every student has a folder for their writing materials, including their journals. We write in journals daily, except Mondays, due to music and PE at that time. (Just a reminder, our other music and physical education day is Wednesday).

In math….

We’ve worked on calendars, exploring with some of the blocks, and we’ve gotten our first math workbooks. The first unit is called Mathematical Thinking at Grade 1. This introductory unit helps them get used to some of the materials and processes they’ll be using in math this year.

Some things worth repeating….

Snacks

We’ll have time for snack each day. I am asking each family to send in one snack, enough to share with the entire class, and we’ll pass out one of them each day. Please send something healthy and easy for first graders to handle on their own. We’ve gotten snack from one family so far. If you just send in your own snack each day, don’t worry about it.

Volunteers

I welcome volunteers in the classroom, but we haven’t started yet. If you’re interested, let me know, either when you stop by, or by email, or call, or send a note. You can also sign up at Curriculum night. I have a sign-up sheet with times that I need people, and I’ll also have the necessary (ESD required) forms for you to fill out when you come to Curriculum Night.

Birthdays

We’ll plan to celebrate the birthdays of all the students (unless otherwise requested). Let me know in advance if you’d like to present us with treats or a classroom book for the celebration.

Curriculum night / Back-to-School Night

On Thursday, September 22, 2005 we’ll have our annual night for Kindergarten, First, and Second grade parents and kids to meet at school, hear from teachers, and look around. We will be starting in the gymnasium, at 6:30 p.m. I plan to talk about my background, my beliefs and philosophy on teaching, learning, and homework, and about our daily routine and expectations. Please bring questions about first grade, or what I do, or anything else. I’d like this meeting to be worth your while.

Email List

In an effort to help with communication, I’d like to put together a mailing list so that I’ve got another way to get you information like this. If you’d like to be on it, please send me an email requesting that I put you on the list. Include your name and your child’s name so I can identify you.

Classroom Visits

Any time you’d like to visit, you’re welcome to do so. Just make sure to stop in at the office to sign in and get a Visitor sticker.

Take-home Folders

We have new folders this year. They’re red, and they’ll come home every Thursday (and back every Friday). Please help your child get used to this routine.

I appreciate all the questions I’ve been getting, so keep the questions coming. If you have email, that’s often best for the quick easy replies. My email address is at the top of this letter. Otherwise, send a note, call, or stop by.

Sincerely,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Search