Thursday, January 14, 2010

Newsletter 6

Newsletter 6                                                                                            1/14/2010

 

Dear Families,

 

Conferences and report cards are upon us. The students have learned continuously since day one. The report cards represent only a small part of that, and maybe not the most important parts. How does one measure love of learning, or confidence in solving problems, or the delight they bring to their classmates by being caring friends? We're working on district standards, but we're working on so much more. Every student has things he or she has done well. Please take the time to congratulate your child (and yourselves), no matter what the report card says.

Conferences and Report Cards

I have gotten confirmation slips back from many of you, telling me if you're available to come to conference at the time scheduled. If the time does not work, let's try to find an alternate time. If your slip didn't come back, I'm assuming your time was fine, and I'll see you then. Let me know if you need a reminder of the day and time.

As I said last time, please plan to bring the students to conferences. We'll share work, celebrate progress, and discuss next steps. They need to be here for both, and they deserve it.

My hope is for the conference to be a two-way exchange of information. I've had the students for one third of a school year, but you've had them for far longer. I'm eager to hear what is happening away from school, and how the things we're doing in school are supporting and enhancing your own (lifelong) efforts to help your children develop literacy and learning skills and attitudes. I'd appreciate any examples you could share, because that is one way I measure how effective this all is.

Please bring any questions you have, too. Conferences can be a great time for answers and clarification.

The conferences are scheduled every 30 minutes. I plan on each one lasting about 20 minutes, with a bit of time between each one, as needed. One thing I need to do is stay on time (which can be a challenge for me), not only to honor the time of everyone in our class, but so that I don't mess up other classrooms. The teachers met together to coordinate conference times for the sake of convenience of families attending. That means if I run late, other classrooms are affected, too. If you find there is more we need to discuss, I'd be happy to talk at a later time. Thanks for your help with this.

Chapter Book

Ramona the Brave by Beverly Cleary.

Calendar


Thursday, November 19—Half day, conferences

Friday, November 20—Half day, conferences

Monday, November 23—Half day, conferences

Tuesday, November 24—Half day, conferences

Wednesday, November 25—Half day

Thursday, November 26—No school

Friday, November 27—No school


 

 

 

Sincerely,

 

 

Jeff


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Search