Saturday, October 29, 2005

Newsletter 9


October 29, 2005

Dear Families,

Here’s what’s going on…..
In reading….
     We continue to work on book choice.  I want them to choose carefully, but I also want them to realize that sometimes it’s not easy to tell if a book is good or not until they try it.  Something that may help you as you choose books to read at home is the list of contenders vying for the Washington Children's Choice Picture Book Award.  We’ll be reading these at school, and voting on our favorite, and I think you’d enjoy them at home, too.  Many are worth rereading.  The web site is http://www.wlma.org/Association/wccpba.htm
Title
Author
Actual Size
Steve Jenkins
Forest Explorer
Nic Bishop
Agent A to Agent Z
Andy Rash
Gator Gumbo
Candace Fleming
Alice the Fairy
David Shannon
Goldie and the Three Bears
Diane Stanley
Arrowhawk
Lola M. Schaefer
I Wanna Iguana
Karen Kaufman Orloff
Baby Brains
Simon James
Karate Hour
Carol Nevius
Beatrice Doesn't Want To
Laura Numeroff
King of the Cats
Aaron Shepard
Blizzard
Betty Ren Wright
Manana Iguana
Ann Whitford Paul
Catalina Magdalena
Tedd Arnold
Mighty Jackie
Marissa Moss
Crazy Hair Day
Barney Saltzberg
Mrs. Watson Wants Your Teeth
Alison McGhee
Elves and the Shoemaker
Jim LaMarche
Superdog
Caralyn Buehner

In writing….
One consequence of writing every day is that students start paying more attention to spelling, because all of a sudden it’s important.  We’re working on teaching them strategies: like looking around the room for the word, thinking of a word they know that sounds the same, and stretching out the sounds and trying to match the sounds with letters that could make those sounds.  When you’re helping them write at home, I encourage you to just tell them the correct spelling.  This will help them maintain their focus on the most important thing:  meaning.  This will help them develop a personal “bank” of correctly spelled words they can use when they’re trying to spell a new word.  If you find yourself spelling certain things over and over, like grandma or thank you, I’d suggest writing those down somewhere so the writer has them when needed.
In math….
Bismarck is the capital of North Dakota.  Or is it South Dakota?  But really, who cares?  For most of us, this is just trivia.  It has no personal relevance, so we don’t pay much attention.  The fact is, all knowledge is trivia, unless there is some personal relevance.  There are just too many things to know and learn, and it is actually one important job of the brain to filter out that which is irrelevant.  We want our kids to learn math facts, so we ask: How do we turn them from trivial to important and personally relevant?  I think one great way is with games, which is why we’ve been practicing Cross Out, and which is why it came home this week.  Many students seem to enjoy this game, and my hope is that they’ll teach it to you, and it can be something you play now and then.  If so, great.  If not, there are other ways in—you probably have games right now that incorporate math at some level.  Your child will choose those that have personal relevance and importance.  Play when you get the chance—whether it’s at home, at a restaurant, or driving on a family trip through Bismarck, North Dakota.
Fall Party…
This will begin around 1:45 on October 31.  Students (and anyone else—feel free to bring those siblings) may bring costumes.  We’ll have them change after lunch recess, before the party.  Some may need reminders to wear proper shoes for P.E. that day, too.  Savannah’s mom has graciously volunteered to coordinate this, so I am forwarding offers of help to her.  If you can contribute, please call her.  
Current Chapter Book Read Aloud…
Winnie the Pooh  by A. A. Milne
Wish List…
Wallpaper—We’d like to have wallpaper samples to use for an art project, so if you have access to one of those books we can use, please let me know.
Dice—someone told me that casinos give their dice away free after they’ve used them, so if you or someone you know is in Las Vegas (or another place where they do that) we would really appreciate any they could get for us.  We find many uses for them.
Conferences…
You’ll see on the calendar that these are coming up in November.  I plan to share what I’ve learned about your child, and I’d love to hear anything you’ve noticed, or questions you have.  I’d also love to have the students here during the conferences, so they may take part.  I find it much more powerful to talk with them and to them, rather than about them.  They deserve to celebrate with us, and they deserve to hear what the next steps might be.  I don’t plan on saying anything they can’t hear, so please plan to bring them.  The sign-up sheets for conference times came home in the Thursday folders.
Calendar…

Friday, October 28—Early Release Day
Monday, October 31—Fall party (afternoon)
Friday, November 4—Science Fair, Western Dance
Thursday, November 10—No school
Friday, November 11—No school
November 17-November 22—Early release days; conferences
Wednesday, November 23—Early release day
November 24 & 25—No school
November 29—Noah’s birthday




Sincerely,


Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Search