Thursday, September 29, 2005

Newsletter 5

Room 302—Newsletter 5 September 29, 2005 Dear Families, Thanks to all who were able to attend. I appreciate the questions I’ve been getting, and I appreciate you taking the time to give me feedback on the meeting. Thanks also for all the kind comments on the blog. I share those with the students. Writers need an audience, and it helps us to know you’re out there. That address again is http://Room302.blogspot.com. Here is what’s going on this week: In reading…. When I pass out book orders, we take the time to look through them. We circle and discuss the things we like. I wish you could hear the excitement and enthusiasm run through the room. These kids love books and reading. But it’s not realistic to expect people to order every time, and I tell them that. I also tell them another way to use book orders. They can save them and use them to help locate books when they go to the library. Sometimes the library can be intimidating, with so many choices. But if they go in with a ready-made list, it really helps narrow the choices. In writing…. Some students are publishing stories, and learning how this routine will work. This is also a great chance for them to reread their work and revise as needed. They have one day in school to illustrate, and if it’s not finished I ask them to use their own time: this could be before school, during recess, or at home. In math…. A new game we learned with dice is called Collect 15 Together. Partners take turns rolling a die and adding the total until it reaches 15 or more. We’re using counters to keep track so that the amount is easy to see, count, and recount as needed. If you’re playing this at home, you can also modify it by using a higher total or playing with two dice. Calendar… Friday, September 30—The Pacific Science Center will be here all day. Our class will tour the exhibit at 2:00, and they’ll be in to do a lesson in the room from 2:30 – 3:05. Join us, if you like. Wednesday, October 5—Picture Day Friday, October 14—No School Friday, October 28—Early Release Day Friday, November 4—Science Fair, Western Dance Sincerely, Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Search